Thursday, September 22, 2011

The eBayification of Amazon.com?

People talk about the amazonification of eBay. But what I've been noticing more lately is the eBayification of amazon.

How so?

As a seller on both sites, I've noticed there are more and more types of things being sold on amazon that used to be mainly sold on eBay.

Just to use one example, several months ago I picked up this Nadia Comenici gymnast doll at a yard sale.

Back in the day, I would have had to take a photograph of the doll, upload it, and fill out the whole listing form to sell it on eBay.

Now I simply type the doll's name in amazon, and there she pops up. There are actually two different amazon listings for her, each with a few different sellers listed. But someone has already uploaded an image, so I don't need to do that. I simply click "Sell yours here," and add in my condition notes and price. (She starts at $9.98 New on one listing, and $4.59 on another listing which appears to be the exact same action figure, just described with different words).

And that's another way amazon is becoming more like eBay. With so many sellers listing stuff on amazon now, you'll get the occasional misspelling, identical items with more than one listing, the occasional typo, etc. etc. But I don't mind those things so much. There are still a lot of things you can list on eBay which are not right for amazon, but when you can go the route of "The River," as eBay sellers sometimes call it, with amazon you can get more listed in less time.




No comments:

Post a Comment