Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Empty Box Brings $280 on eBay

It never ceases to amaze me the types of things that can bring in the big bucks on eBay. Check out this recent entry to the current Yard Salers flips contest (www.yardsalers.net), from Brenda of www.bienleindesign.com:

 
Hi Julia,
 
I'm new to your newsletter and just read my first issue. It was fun reading about the flips others had. I recently had several wonderful flips but wanted to share this particular one that just happened recently.
 

I helped a friend clean up a house in preparation for an estate sale. It was agreed that she would not pay me for helping her but I would be able to take home some items of my choice. I picked up this empty box thinking it might be worth something to someone. This is the link for that item..

Vintage Winchester Gun Box

Winchester_box1_cropped
 

This box did have the original cardboard inserts and manuals but the gun itself was missing.

The original owner wrote his sons name and addresses in 12 different places on this box in red marker. I really didn't know if that would increase or decrease the value.

Within hours of posting this auction, I got an email from a buyer offering me $200 to BIN. Such a quick email always is a red flag to me as that means this must be valuable and worth a lot but the buyer is hoping I don't know that and will let it go. I kindly told him he will have to bid and I'm letting the auction run its course. Good thing I did as it ended up at $280.00!

The winning buyer had zero feedback which I admit made me nervous but all of us had to start at that point so I gave him the benefit of the doubt and hoped for the best. He was very poor at communicating with me but I did receive my payment a week later. I don't know if this was his first experience on eBay but hopefully it was a positive one for him and he will be better at communicating with future transactions on eBay.

So the moral of this story is....save your boxes and keep an eye out for vintage boxes in great shape!
 
Happy hunting and eBaying!
Brenda Bienlein
www.bienleindesign.com

[Want to read about more flips like this? Check out my Big Bucks Flips ebook at bigbucksflips.com.]



No comments:

Post a Comment