Monday, April 11, 2011

Learn to Coupon with Me Tip 1: Use Coupons on Smallest Size Product You Can Buy

I've been blogging about my entry into this "krazy couponing" world. While I am not yet one of the "krazy coupon ladies" that manage to get out of the store for totals like $6, I am saving more and more each time I go.

I'm sharing what I learn along the way. Today's tip? Use your coupons on the smallest size product you can. This lesson was shared on the "Extreme Couponing" show on TLC as well as in the "Krazy Coupon" ladies' book, Pick Another Checkout Lane, Honey: Save Big Money & Make the Grocery Aisle your Catwalk! (Lakeland Fellranger)

Why? Because your savings-per-unit of volume will be greater that way. It may seem wise to "stock up" on a larger item with that coupon, but you'll be paying more per ounce (or milliliter, or pound, or what have you).

E.g., you have a $1 off Tasties cereal (made up name). You could use it on the $2 size box or on the $3 size box. If you use it on the $2 size box, you're saving 50%. If you use it on the $3 size box, you're only saving about 33%. Make sense?

The good news on my last shopping trip? I saved $100 using my coupons and my store card, and also a few clearance items.

The bad news? I still spent over $200. I guess I went a little ape on some quantities. Rookie mistake: remember those "Save $X on 3" or 4 or 5...mans you are paying more total! And usually, even if a promotion says "Save $X on 4," you can still get that per-unit discount if you only buy 1 of the item.

Another rookie mistake? Not looking more closely at what the *original* price was on the item on clearance. So I got a couple 50% off! items on clearance...but didn't realize one of them had an original price of $17! (Conditioner, of course..what else?).

That's it for today. More lessons in future posts! Meantime share your lessons here. :) And check out thekrazycouponlady.com and the couponmom.com (author of  another great book about couponing, Pick Another Checkout Lane, Honey: Save Big Money & Make the Grocery Aisle your Catwalk! (Lakeland Fellranger))  sites for great couponing info.


No comments:

Post a Comment