Sunday, August 13, 2006

Weschler's auctions piece in the Post

This is my first post to my new typepad blog! ("Alert the media," as my sister would say).



A saw a good piece about Wechsler's Auctioneers (an offline, "real-world" auction house in Washington, D.C.) recently (Monday, July 31, 2006) in the Washington Post.



People come in and bid on the many lots that cycle through during a day for many reasons.  Some are mysterious characters who seem to be hoarders. Others just want to get the good deal, like a guy who got a painting worth $400 for $20.



One man sums up how I feel about buying things at yard and estate sales: "For me, it's about the history of things. You're constanty learning. It's a great second career."



So what about my scores over the weekend?  Well, usually I buy with an eye to resell stuff, but I'm gonna keep some of this weekend's haul. For example, I got a lovely original oil painting of autumn foliage for $17.  I also got a Dooney & Bourke purse and a great Kenneth Cole tote bag for $4. What good stuff did you find over the weekend? Post a comment here.



1 comment: